Sunday, November 8, 2009

28th Week



Hello all....sorry it has been a couple of weeks. I am now heading into my 28th week. To start it off, I get to go meet with the dietitian tomorrow at 2:00. Yes, it is true, I have been told I have gestational diabetes and that I am anemic!! No wonder I have been so tired over the past month. I was beginning to worry!




So, a week and a half ago, I went for my diabetes test. I went after school and was told not to eat or drink anything different than usual! So, I didn't. Sam went with me and the test was bearable. It really wasn't as bad as people were warning me! The orange stuff was gross and sugary, but not near as bad as I had envisioned!! Low and behold, I had to go back last Friday to take the 3 hour glucose test because I miserably failed the 1 hour! The good news was that I got to take the day off school, the bad news was that I had to fast from the night before and then get 4 tubes of blood taken over a 3 hour period!! ( I have horror stories about the blood that was taken, but I will spare you all!!!) The worst part about it all is that they found I am diabetic. In dealing with this news, I have a little story to tell.....




So, there is this mom at my school who I have seen over the past couple of months walking around with a bandanna on her newly shaven head. I, of course, assumed she had recently been diagnosed with cancer. Well, she stopped me the day I found out about the diabetes. She asked me how I was feeling and was really sweet.....and as I was walking away, I asked her about herself and apologized for being rude and not asking about what she was going through. She was so matter of fact and was so positive, I was sort of taken aback. She ended by telling me that she had 12 days left of chemo and that she had decided long ago that as long as whatever was going on her life, that was not so positive, was happening to her and not her kids, she was happy and could handle it. I thought, wow, what a great way to view life!! So, I turned to her and said, you know, I shouldn't be whining, as long as the diabetes only effects me, I should be happy I can do something about it, Maddux will be just fine in the end! So, with my new lease on life, I go into the next couple of months knowing, I can do what I have to do for Maddux!!! I'll meet with the dietitian tomorrow and will have to change my diet, but I know I can do it!! I simply can't believe that in about 2 and a half months, I will have a little man to hold and smile at! (Tear:))




Maddux is still super active. My belly is growing rapidly and my friends are incredibly sweet and continue to tell me I look great! I want to give a shout out to Sarah and Whit as I know they are faithful readers!! (I really appreciate you ladies!!) I hope this blog post finds everyone happy and ready for Turkey soon!! I love ya'll and will continue to keep you posted on our progress!! Happy November!! Wow, November already, crazzzy!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you have gestational diabetes. That stinks! I didn't think the drink was that bad either--if they would add some carbonation, it really would be fine. It looks like you are getting ready for Baby!--Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like sister like sister! You just have to do everything like Paige! Just kidding. I love you so much and know you will do what ever you have to for a happy, healthy Maddux. Take care of yourself and I still hope something will work out and you will be able to come here for Thanksgiving.

    Take care--Aunt Letha

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe what a sweet story! hang in there girl!!

    ReplyDelete